Monday, November 13, 2006

O Happy Day

I'm having a wonderful time working on my NaNo WIP. For those who don't understand what that means...my National Novel Writing Month's Work in Progress. LOL. I haven't made it far, but I DID fix a rookie mistake.

For a while I wondered why I didn't like my WIPs. All the way back to Bound In Darkness...why didn't I enjoy reading them when I was done? I figured it out last night. Because I didn't write what I enjoy. I love snappy dialogue and a spunky female protagonist. Throw in some excellent sexual tension and an alpha male with an attitude and self confidence and I am usually happy. Of course, I HAVE to have a great storyline and strong movement. So what was I missing? A female with a backbone. I don't really know why. I have one. Very rarely have I ever "let" something in my life push me along. I have always made my own way, especially in relationships. If I had a need, I fixed it. If I wanted extra spending money, I got a second job. I never sat on the side and whined about what I didn't have and why the world ran me over or how someone used me.

If I was used, I made sure it never happened again. If I lied, I took the consequences. Honesty became my best policy b/c of that. LOL. So why was I writing females who let the world dictate what and who they should be? I don't know. Maybe I'm trying to stretch my fledgling writing wings or trying to understand. It doesn't really matter, though. I rewrote 15 pages of dialogue (not continuous pages) and redirected action sequences.

And suddenly, lo and behold, I loved my FP (female protagonist). She did and said some things that had me chuckling and I admired her self-confidence. Now I can't wait to see what she says and does. She's made some pretty incredible mistakes, but hey, confidence doesn't always mean correct. :-) So, if nothing else, NaNo forced me to look at the way I write. I am so thankful for that.

I have to run this morning, I have a lot of work ahead of me for the day.

Good luck all.

To all, I'm out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shelley_liz said...

What is your handle on the Nano Website? I'd like to add you to my friend's list if you don't mind. My handle is She-nally, look me up if you like.

I've been meeting with a local writer's group that have been more helpful than I could imagine. A friend told me to ignore my "inner editor". If I come to a mistake, mark it with "//" and go back to it after NANO. I think it's to help me move the story along so I don't get bogged down. I have never written that way before, but I'm trying it (biting nails). It has been a blast to see how my story is unfolding.

I hit 20,000+ last night. A little behind schedule, but still marching on :). Good luck to you!

Shelley Liz

8:29 PM  
Blogger The Sidhe said...

Hey Shelley. My handle is auburnfaerie. You are welcome to add me if you'd like. I'm so glad to see you're doing so well.

Your friend gives very good advice. Thank you for letting me know. Hope to see you succeed in NaNo! Good Luck.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home