Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Of Chili and Chilly

Tomorrow I have to bring my chili in for a chili cookoff. I'm competing against a guy who suggested that women "may not" be chili cooks. He feels that most women make chili that tastes like it came out of a can. They just can't compete with guys.

Hmmm

*huge smile* I'm from Texas, ya'll. And if I know how to cook ANYTHING, it's chili. So I ask him, are we talking competition style red or what? He's all like, huh? LOL. Amateur. Okay, do we only have the appearance of meat and gravy (sauce) or are we going people's choice? He just stared at me. Poor guy.

Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats,cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden. It is suggested that all ingredients other than meat be pureed so as not to take away from the purity of your chili (seriously people) and to aid in blending of spices and such throughout the entire dish.

People's choice chili is a more traditional chili that MUST have beans or pasta in it. It's a heartier and usually less fiery chili.

Traditional Verde chili is defined by the International Chili Society as the same as above, only use green chilis instead of red.

So, it appears we're going more people's choice. So, I'm going to pull out my verde and kick some butt tomorrow. I wonder if he'll know what hit him.

On another note...we have a returning female champion from last year. She placed, though not first. She's thrown down the gauntlet and said she'd beat everyone again. Am I worried? No. Do I think I'll win? It depends on where the judges are from. From the south, maybe, from the north, probably not. :-)

On the home front, little man is doing great, growing like a weed. :-) I'm teaching a new block and having a blast, and HTE is gearing up for the holidays. He's stocking our music for the season and just being wonderful! Today the wind is so strong it's tearing up the countryside. Gusts greater than 55mpH. How wonderful. I chased my cap this morning, right into the street. Not fun stuff. And the SUV took a helluva beating.

I hope it lets up soon.

Off to write some more NaNo.

Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home