Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Looking back

I received an email today that threw me for a loop. What was it? A good friend of mine from my previous assignment passed away at the age of 36. It was December 1st and I just found out about it. Well, we all just found out about it. So we're all tearing up the internet (all meaning about a dozen of us) trying to find out 1. what happened, 2. does his family need anything and 3. can we do anything for them.

He had left the military and worked as a civilian contractor for our hospital. We hung out quite a bit. So, I've sent an email letting my ex-husband know (they were close) and tried to find out as much as possible from everyone who knew him. He'd even loaned us his car when my ex and I were in California for a trip to Disneyland. For me, that's an amazing thing.

Unfortunately, the only thing I can find out information on pertaining to him is his obituary notification. So, I'm emailing everyone I know. It's a hard thing to realize that running across someone again really won't happen. I'd expected to see him again, sometime during my career. He'd moved to Hawaii and I moved here, but it's natural to assume our paths would cross. The world is a tiny place now, after all. But here it is...three years later, and it'll never happen.

It's a rough concept, even for someone who's lived the military mindset, the death of friends, associates, family members. But, you tend to think that once someone's left the military, they're somehow safer, more likely to live long, fruitful lives...

Anyway. I have a lot on my mind. Give someone you love, admire, enjoy talking to a ring or email today. Let them know you appreciate them.

To all, I'm out.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Sidhe said...

I'm amazed, absolutely amazed that spam follows you to blogs as well. Telemarketing has entered its new evolution. *sigh*

11:05 AM  
Blogger Kim Knox said...

I'm amazed it took so long to get here LOL

I had spam on my blog with the hour of starting it up. You've done well to be out of its radar for so long! LOL

Time for word verification, me thinks...

3:08 AM  
Blogger The Sidhe said...

It's been done. How sad that I had to. :-)

8:25 AM  
Blogger Kim Knox said...

Where's your good news?????

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home